The critically acclaimed PrimaLuna monoblocks just got better! By incorporating the best elements of the critically-acclaimed ProLogue Six and Seven monoblocks, plus many of the ground-breaking features from the more advanced DiaLogue Series, the next generation ProLogue Premium Series, is an engineering marvel — tube monoblock amplifiers that sets a new benchmark in high-performance audio with the following features:
- Innovative, new Adaptive AutoBias circuitry. If anybody tells you that they have auto bias, ask them precisely how. It's most likely not true. As with all PrimaLuna amps, you never have to worry about biasing your amp ever again, and the need for matched tubes is eliminated. Just plug in a myriad of different tubes including EL34, KT88, or KT120 (the cage must be left off to use KT120) and AAB does the rest while improving sound quality. Tubes are constantly monitored and kept in their best operating range, reducing distortion by up to 50%
- Custom wide bandwidth output transformers No other brand can copy the PrimaLuna sound for one simple reason: PrimaLuna output transformers. Almost every manufacturer buys their output transformers off the shelf; with varying degrees of success. Transformers are the most important (and most expensive) ingredient in making an amplifier. Our output transformers are custom wound in-house. The designs are the result of collaboration between engineers in the Netherlands and the United States, and built to the same standards that you come to expect from the world’s authority on tube amplifier manufacturing.
That’s why PrimaLuna bass extension is deep and tight, the top end extended but without even a hint of grain, and that famous PrimaLuna midrange, which creates a sense of space and shape you won’t get anywhere else. Read the white paper here.
- 2 ohm, 4 ohm, and 8 ohm taps. All PrimaLuna monoblocks are built with the most demanding speakers in mind. Weather you have Maggie 3.7's or Martin Logans, welcome home. You have found an amp that will marry to virtually any speaker.
- Dual feedback topology: Cross-coupled current feedback for superior impulse behavior and gain stability. Next a slight amount of negative feedback is used to achieve exact gain setting, low distortion, and low output impedance. This effectively cancels the negative byproducts associated with both feedback circuits. The end result utilizes all the benefits of feed-back, without all the drawbacks.
- SmartWatts design. PrimaLuna's true-value, low stress design philosophy. Many manufacturers fudge on their power ratings, claiming power that is mathematically impossible. Every seasoned tube owners knows that 20 watts from a tube amp is a ton of power. What is really important is that PrimaLuna runs their power tubes up to 40% easier that other manufacturers. You can tell easily by putting your hand on top of a PrimaLuna amp. They run cooler than others. There is no reason to run tubes at their jagged edge. Why do manufactures do it? Click here to see why.
- Panel mounted ceramic tube sockets and rear jacks. Some brands will mount tube sockets or hook up jacks to a printed circuit board. As the product ages, these boards can crack by simply changing tubes or cables. All PrimaLuna products mount ceramic tube sockets to a stand off, and the rear panel jacks are secured directly the the chassis.
- Point to point wiring. The ProLogue Classic is a work of art with internal construction you won't find elsewhere. It takes more time to build, and is assembled buy artisans, but it will last a lifetime.
Next, the ProLogue Premium Series introduces four innovative circuits that protect the amp at every level:
- BTI-circuit. BTI stands for "Bad Tube Indicator." On the chassis’ deck in front of each power tube, is a small LED that lights up if the tube goes bad. This circuit works hand-in-hand with the new Adaptive Auto-Bias circuit.
- PTP-circuit. If the power transformer should overheat, this "Power Transformer Protection" circuit cuts primary power, allows the amp to cool down, then resets itself.
- OTP-circuit. The "Output Transformer Protection" circuit protects the output transformers in the event of a massive tube failure or user error.
- +B relay. Replaces the plate fuse and works in conjunction with the OTP-circuit to protect the amp against tube failure. This method is less intrusive sonically and the relay resets itself once the faulty tube is replaced.
All packaged in a heavy steel chassis using five coats of high-gloss, hand-rubbed finish. Silver or black face plate available.